Thursday, March 8, 2018

I used to be a "Guy's Girl" 🙄

I am so thankful that February is over. I had so much going on that every second felt like it had to be accounted for, otherwise I was wasting time. I’ve still got a lot going on, and I loved every minute of February because it was a blast, but now that it’s over I feel like I can breathe again.
 
One of the things that February brought with it was my birthday. And one of the things that becomes more and more clear every year is that my relationships with the women around me are the things that keep me afloat.

Now, of course, my husband is my lifeline and my daughter is my whole world, don’t get me wrong, but the women I call friend are the people that keep me sane.
 
And it took me a long time to recognize the value of those relationships. Because in my bright and blooming youth I was one of those girls. The girl who wasn’t like other girls. I was a guy’s girl.

Whatever that is. I almost want to gag saying it.

I hung out with guys and only had a select couple of girls I called friends and when Friday night rolled around it was time to be just one of the guys. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that BUT you have to know that it’s a limited time thing.

See I didn’t know that at the time. I thought me and (insert guys name here) were going to be bros forever. What I didn’t realize is that once he starts dating/marries ‘the one’, she doesn’t want him to have any girl bros but her. And I can’t fault her. I don’t want my husband having a female bff, and they didn’t either. But I didn’t understand it back then and I can’t tell you how many times I got my feelings hurt because this guy stopped returning my phone calls or that guy didn’t have time to hang out with me but he could hang out with all of our other friends. Or that dude flat out said he girlfriend didn’t want him hanging out with me anymore. It really really did hurt.

But “I’m not like other girls” also meant something else. It meant that I didn’t value the things they valued, like tons of make up, or Hallmark movies, or or or…. ROMANCE NOVELS!  That those things were stupid and beneath me, the guy’s girl.

I felt above all of it and now when I hear a young woman say it I cringe so hard inside because it’s so ridiculous.

As I’ve aged I’ve found a network of women who lift each other up. We don’t always agree nor do we all like the same things but when it comes down to brass tacks we support each other. And I am so grateful to have them in my life. They are smart and successful and great mothers and funny as hell and so beautiful it hurts to look at them. And some of them watch the Bachelor and cry over it. And some of them (cough cough) read a ludicrous amount of romance novels and get the warm tingleys over every single one of them. And some of them collect ridiculously priced purses and shoes. And some watch hours and hours of make up tutorials on youtube.

And all of that is just fine. I’m sad that for so many years I didn’t realize that I’d been brainwashed by society to think that “girly” stuff was bad and I missed out on a ton of things and great friends because of it. But at least I came to my senses in time to make some amazing friends who value me for the woman I am regardless of the fact that I didn’t always value them.

Happy International Women’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I used to be a "Guy's Girl" 🙄

I am so thankful that February is over. I had so much going on that every second felt like it had to be accounted for, otherwise I was wa...